Little did I know...just where it was all going to lead.
Vietnam 1966, I created my first BBQ grill (by welding leftover scraps of metal).
My following 27 years of service was as a member of the Jackson, Mississippi Fire Department. Rotation "galley duty" afforded me the opportunity to create and experiment with, new recipes and techniques.
In 1991, after numerous catering jobs, a local radio station asked me, and my wife Sue, to represent them in a local Memphis in May Sanctioned Barbecue Contest. The fiery movie, "Backdraft" was popular; the team was comprised of firemen, thus the name Backdraft Smokers was created.
We have experienced much success cooking in forty-five Memphis In May Sanctioned Barbecue Cooking Contests in Mississippi, Tennessee, Missouri, Louisiana, Alabama, and Florida. As a team, we attempt to present an outstanding product and show true southern hospitality to all judges and visitors.
- We have excelled by winiing State Barbecue Championship Contests in Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama.
- We were two-time World Champions in ribs and sauce.
- Eight Grand Championships
- Twenty-five First Place Wins.
- Fourth Place ranking in MIM-WCBCC Top Ten Teams Category, 1995.
- Two major highlights in our competition were...
- First Place Barbecue Sauce in the MIM-WCBCC contest in Memphis, 1998.
- First Place Ribs in the Annual Jack Daniel's World Championship Barbecue Contest in Lynchburg, Tennessee, 1998.